Education is one of the fundamental elements for everyone in this world. Every country or society builds up by education because; education is the backbone of a nation. You are not alone, there are lots of people questioning or asking about undergraduate vs graduate. So, no need to worry. In this article, I am going to tell you about the difference between undergraduate and graduate in details.
There are so many steps that people have to overcome to reach the highest level of study. But you may be stuck on a sentence saying, Undergraduate Degree vs Graduate degree.
What is an Undergraduate Degree?
Undergraduate means, a person who finished his bachelor degree, after, completes the undergraduate education; a student receives the undergraduate degree. It is the recognition of post-secondary schooling.
Usually, it takes 4 years to complete the undergraduate program (bachelor degree). But the time span may vary depending on country & education field (MBBS /diploma/engineering etc.). Credit is the ultimate marking system for different courses. (Usually 3 credit a course). One student must pass all the courses & complete the total credit as well to get the degree.
What is a Graduate Degree?
A person who completed his graduate degree is called a graduate. When a person completes his undergraduate degree and if he wants to continue his study he can apply for a graduate degree. A graduate degree is a post-secondary education where he can complete his Master’s Degree Program and Ph.D. Program. The graduate degree helps to gather knowledge in an individual field because the format of the graduate degree is more specialized.
Read more Masters degree in Canada,
The difference between undergraduate and graduate degree
There are lots of difference between undergraduate and graduate and postgraduate. But you are here to understand the difference between undergraduate degree vs graduate degree. So let’s see the difference.
- After getting the first academic degree of a student, he is called an undergraduate.
- An undergraduate student who has completed the study course or training will be called as a graduate.
- A student must have to complete his secondary education to apply for an undergraduate degree.
- A student can be applicable to a graduate degree when he will become an undergraduate.
Subjects to Learn
- An undergraduate read several subjects as his needs.
- Graduates are bound to read on an individual field.
- It took four years or more to become an undergraduate after secondary education. But there is a category also, where a student can finish his first academic degree in two years.
- To become a graduate, a student must need one year after an undergraduate degree.
- In bachelor study, a student has to complete a total of 100-120 credits hour.
- A master student hardly has 30 credits hour to complete in one year.
- An undergraduate hardly gets a chance to do something different except study. They can attend a small project or activity which is not enough for them.
- A graduate gets the chance to work with professors, even they taught from them on a one-to-one basis. They can take part with the professors in big projects or bigger researches which will give them tons of experiences.
- An undergraduate does not get enough freedom to show their outcome.
- A student can start his own path after he becomes a graduate.
I hope you get the important differences between the undergraduate and graduate. But, are you still confused? Then scroll down to see the details about two degrees and as well as the degree holders.
Undergraduate Degree Categories
An undergraduate degree takes four years to complete. But the good news is you can finish your course in two years. There are two categories for pursuing an undergraduate degree. One is an Associate Degree Program, and the other one is the Bachelor’s Degree Program.
Associate Degree Program
An associate degree program is for those who do not want to study a traditional course of four years. Colleges have made it easier for students who want to gather knowledge in and get an undergraduate degree from their field. These are a two-year regular course. Almost every college or university has associate degree programs for students.
But the rule is the same. You will have to end your secondary education to qualify for the associate degree program. If someone wants to finish his bachelor degree in a short time, he can take this program. Because when he gets time, he can complete his bachelor degree from scratch.
Undergraduate VS Graduate program
Research says the students who get undergraduate by taking the associate degree program has a lower rate of unemployment.
Bachelor Degree Program
Bachelor degree program is a traditional way to achieve an undergraduate degree level. This kind of degree takes four years to become an undergraduate. But it varies from person to person, or it depends on your country or region.
But the fact is, you will have to get more knowledge on any subject than you get for the associate program because it is the full course for an upcoming undergraduate. A bachelor degree seeker has more opportunities in job sectors more than associate degree program seekers.
So, if you have enough time and you want to achieve a full course and want to become an undergraduate, then you should apply for a bachelor degree program instead of an associate degree program.
Master degree program
Master degree program gives opportunities to students to achieve more knowledge in their fields. It is a two-year course. But some professional course might take a fewer year than the course time, As well as some students can take a longer time to complete their course by doing part-time classes along with jobs.
It is the last stage of the graduate study. A person who completes his master program can apply for the Ph.D. program. Ph.D. program is formatted to give someone the extreme type of knowledge in an individual field.
It takes more time than the master program. Ph.D. program takes up to 8 years to complete the course. But it is up to the students and the authority because most of the students do this program with the professionals. So maintaining time is a big factor for the Ph.D. Program.
Students become confused about their studies, especially when they get fascinated with their plans. Sometimes it is very annoying for students to decide what to do next. When someone ends his Secondary Education, he hardly knows about the degrees.
So, they might get confused when they think about Undergraduate VS Graduate. It is essential to understand your needs and ability to choose what should be my next step. So I tried to give you the information and the differences between two degrees and degree holders.
If you did skip anything above, then please read again to find out the solution to your question.
Related post that you can read
Top 10 MBA colleges in the World and more.